Saturday 7 April 2012

Free at Last..........A$55

One man’s mission to share with the world the fine art of cufflinks.  

Each blog a different pair and each blog a different story.  Read on in this series….

There are a few cuff links in your scribe's collection that are of unknown provenance….they have mysteriously entered the collection and probably emanate from a mixed bag Christmas stocking or from a raucous milestone birthday celebration!  So today we make an event match the links that have no story, no source and no past.  They are worn today with a cotton tailored shirt and a silk polka dot Gene Meyer of New York neck tie.


This week of course is a very spiritual one for many people.  Including the anniversary of the assassination of The Reverend Dr Martin Luther King Jnr. in Memphis Tennessee in 1968.  Dr King was of course a huge link man and can be seen in many dozens of archive shots donning cuff links. He was an activist, a man of God, a Nobel Laureate and a truly great leader of our time.  Your scribe was living in Washington DC at the time of his assassination and there was a wave of race riots that ensued across Washington and the rest of the USA.  His funeral was a most moving event for a youngster like your scribe and has remained in my memory as one of overbearing collective sadness not often seen in society but for the most loved of leaders.

Excerpts from Dr King’s “ I have been to the Mountaintop” speech the night before he died….most prophetic.

And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't really matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live - a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord

RIP MLK
  

Til Later


ONWARD

No comments:

Post a Comment