Tuesday 20 December 2011

Moon Shadows..........$50

One man’s mission to share with the world the fine art of cufflinks.

Each blog a different pair and each blog a different story.  Read on in this series.....

Your scribe has seen many a winter’s day but none so cold as my time on an extended stay in Moscow a few years back. Temperatures sunk to - 45º C and believe me you never want to experience this without adequate preparation. It’s so cold that if you yawn your teeth start to crack and your tears of pain turn to ice on your face!!!!

When I was in Moscow, renowned concert pianist Phillip Shovk was a Chopin student at the Moscow Conservatory and we became great drinking chums. 

I was at a private recital by Phillip not long ago where he was performing Beethoven’s Emperor on the Stuart Grand Piano. After the recital he introduced me to some of his associates and mentioned that we had been in Moscow together during the coldest winter since Hitler, and the latter was the coldest winter since Napoleon!!!!!

The strength of the Russian people is exemplified by their ability to withstand marauders and withstand the cold…..all with the help of some fine Stolichnaya vodka and warm comrade named Olga of course…..


My memory of the full moon one night rising over the Kremlin and St Basils is so vivid, even to this day. It was the largest I had ever seen the moon on its rising and with the backdrop of St Basils from Red Square was simply awesome.


The next day I came across these little moon stone gem cuff links and just had to get them in honour of that fantastic full moon and that serendipitous moment. They are always worn with one of my favourite “moon” ties from Salvatore Ferragammo, Hermés or Chanel.



Til tomorrow



ONWARD

No comments:

Post a Comment