Tuesday 31 January 2012

The Leveller

One man’s mission to share with the world the fine art of cufflinks.

Each blog a different pair and each blog a different story.  Read on in this series....

Whenever I wear today’s links I am always asked if I am a builder, architect or engineer.  I am happy to say that I am none of these noble professions but I do certainly engage and rely on their expertise on most working days.  So hats off to all you engineers, architects and builders.


I wish that I had these links when I climbed the leaning Tower of Pisa a long time ago.  The Tower was actually closed for some 11 years for safety reasons and is now again open to the public.  Engineers, architects and builders jointly saved the structure from further leaning by the removal of 70 metric tons of dirt from the eastern foundations of the building.  They say it is the most photographed building in the world and most certainly the most recognised.  These links would have helped in determining the exact degree of lean that the poor old tower has been subjected to in the last five centuries.  FYI it is 3.97°.


Other times that these links are handy is on that jet flight on a steep descent, or to assess the grade of a topographic built feature or on that cable car ride in San Fransisco!!!!


Today’s links are stainless steel tubes with light green glass spirit levels.  Bought from a jeweller that was closing down I managed to grab these on the last day the store was open.  Of course I was asked by the shop keeper...” Are you an architect, engineer or a builder?”……I guess I will always be subject to that question.

Til later


ONWARD

No comments:

Post a Comment