Monday 2 January 2012

Old Man Time..........$150

One man’s mission to share with the world the fine art of cufflinks.

Each blog a different pair and each blog a different story.  Read on in this series.....

There’s only one thing your scribe likes more than being very busy and that’s being completely idle!! Fully rested after some days with my reunited itinerant family, I managed to spend the holiday season eating, talking, drinking and reminiscing past travels and encounters.

When on the road I try to always take in the local flea market and this year was no exception. My favourites are Portobello Road in London, the Souks of Damascus or Cairo or Marrakesh, Paddington Markets in Australia and for a long days stroll, I like the Marchés Aux Puces in Paris best to shop and to visit old dead friends in the adjacent cemetery, Père Lachaise….Resting there is Oscar Wilde, Victor Hugo, Jim Morrison, Edith Piaf, Fred Chopin to name a few.

 Frederic Chopin at rest at Père Lachaise in Paris.




On weekends the surrounding suburb to the cemetery converts to one of the great flea markets and a treasure trove for the Link Man on the trails.

Some are superstitious about what an associate of mine calls “dead man's” cuff links….but to find treasure stashed away for years at a stall or tiny store and to engage in conversation with the shop keeper and to speculate who and where the links come from is one of life’s pleasures.


 At midnight on New Years Eve I waited for Old Man Time's arrival but to no avail.  So today I wear my Lords tie, which depicts Old Man Time, to accompany my special flea market find of pressed metal and jade cuff links.



Til Next time


ONWARD

No comments:

Post a Comment